Pages

Monday, August 30, 2010

Mamaghoover Takes a Turn

I can’t believe I’m doing this. She asked; I declined. She asked again and I said “your readers don’t want to hear what your mother has to say.” “But," she said, "I’ve had a headache all weekend, I’m exhausted and The Situation is on skype and. . . ." So here I am.

I want to apologize in advance for what is sure to be a very mundane, uneventful post. Hayley has been writing circles around me since she was seven. In fact, Hayley began her writing career at age 4 when she was jealous because Jess could write the word “stop." She’s been at it ever since.

When she was five, after she had written every member of the family a book as a Christmas gift, she asked my mother “Grandma, how many books have YOU published?” I think we knew then that she was serious about this writing biz.

What else can I tell you about Hayles? She has been a complete and utter joy from the moment she was born. Her nickname when she was little was “the angel child’ because she always had that little spark in her that filled the room with light. The hayleyghoover you see on youtube and vlogs and blogs is pretty much the real deal. She doesn’t hide much, she never pretends to be someone she’s not. She has always known exactly who she is and what she wants out of life.

Hayley makes her father and I proud all the time. We are her biggest fans and I’ve been accused on more than one occasion of “stalking” her on the Internet. The truth is I love watching whatever she comes up with. (But, I didn’t really like the ‘wine cone’ video.)

What makes us most proud is the heart she has developed for others, especially the girls she works with each year at Royal Family Kids’ Camp. This camp for children who have suffered from neglect and abuse, is an extremely rewarding experience for all those involved. It is also physically and emotionally exhausting. One of my greatest joys as a parent is watching Hayley (and my other children) pour themselves out for these sweet campers who have suffered in ways no one deserves.

If you were hoping I would tell you what the “g” stands for in hayleyghoover, sorry to disappoint. As Hayley has said many times before—it’s gansta!

Hayles will be back tomorrow night, I promise!

Sensing:

Today I saw: a sweet middle school boy sing an awesome “Amazing Grace” at church. The poise and maturity of this young man (not to mention his voice) gave me chills.

Heard: The raucous laughter and banter of my extended family around the dinner table.

Smelled: fresh basil from the herb garden. Is there anything better than fresh basil?

Tasted: An entire buffet of wonderful food prepared by my mom. I am so fortunate to still have my mom with me.

Touched: a soft, fuzzy peach picked off a tree in my yard.

55 comments:

Anonymous said...

very nice blog ^^

Anonymous said...

Yay! Great job :D

Lee said...

I really enjoyed reading this. c: Very sweet.

Laura Dean said...

Probably the cutest thing I've ever read.

PJ Scott-Blankenship said...

Oh, Mrs. Hoover I miss you!!!

homeontheburrow said...

Mommys unite! You've housed my kid and now I have housed yours! Hayley is a well-raised child with perfect guest manners! You should rightfully be proud. Awesome blogging, consider doing it more often!
HomeontheBurrow aka Karen Bartels

Anila said...

Aw, it's so good to hear from Mama Hoover! Your writing voices~ are very similar. I think if my mom ever wrote a blog post about how proud she was of me I would probably cry for a really long time. Hayley, I hope you know how lucky you are to have supportive parents!

Best wishes :)

Sarah said...

It's great to finally hear from you, Mrs. Hoover. :D

It's nice to hear more about Hayley from the people who care about her. I love how proud you are of her; she's done a lot of good online. Hopefully you come and write for us some more.

Today, I heard: Katy Perry's cd while my sister was driving me, it's okay...
Today, I saw: a scary video about a seven year old thr still breast feeds
Today, I tasted: yummy brocolli cheese soup in a bread bowl
Today I felt: my soft doggy
Today, I smelled: coffee, I love the smell of coffee

Melody said...

Mamaghoover! We love you! Wonderful blog :)

And Hayley, hope your headache goes away soon. <3

lanna-lovely said...

It's official, Hayley has one of the most awesome mums ever. Hope Hayley's feeling better soon. :)

ObsidianVormund said...

Wonderful job!

Feel better, Hayley. :)

Rosianna said...

Lovely to hear from Mamaghoover :)

Best getting-better wishes to Hayley.

Anonymous said...

Why does this post make me tear up at it's sweetness? I love your mom, truly. I wish my mother was like this :) You should feel truly blessed, Hayley.

Anna said...

What a half-hearted attempt at BEDA from you, Hayley...how many times now have you coaxed someone else into blogging for you? It's just not the same...

Sarah Badger said...

Mrs. Hoover, I'm considering starting a petition to persuade you to guest blog more often. You've done an incredible job raising your beautiful family and I'm so glad there are mothers like you in the world. :-)

Sarah

Alyce said...

I love Mama Hoover.

Callidora said...

Mama Hoover, you have written an amazing blog post. I love hearing about little Hayley! Hopefully we will hear from you again.
:o)

comelygrace said...

Thanks for contributing to Hayley's blog! :) I was skimming the entry looking for what the "G" stands for...I should have known it wouldn't be given away.

Today, I saw: my favorite school shuttle driver for the first time in a few months.
I heard crazy Spanish being spoken at me faster than I remembered from last semester. Going to take some work to get back into the groove.
I touched my books and backpack at school.
I smelled lasagna I just made...it reminded me of Hayley's Pizza Rolls video because it's still too hot to eat but I want it so bad!!
I tasted burning hot lasagna/sauce in my mouth because I am not patient enough to wait for it to cool down. Owww, my mouth.

Marie said...

Mama Hoover! It was awesome hearing from you =)
I think Hayley's just as proud to have you as a mom as you are to have her as a daughter. Not that you didn't know, but it shows.

Jordiekins said...

MAMAGHOOVS FTW! (That's "for the win", if you're not picking up what I'm putting down.)

This was a great blog, I really hope Hayley gets more headaches so you can fill in more often! Wait, no, that came out wrong. But really, I enjoyed reading this.

to_thine_own_self said...

Such a sweet post!
Love it =]

P.S. It did, indeed, disappoint me a bit that you didn't reveal what the "g" stands for. I was expecting this to finally be the post that it was revealed in, but nope.
That's ok, though. I'll deal. And I'm sure one day we'll all find out.

Haha.

jenibo said...

Nice to hear from MamaHoover. :)
Hahah. I love Hayley's winekone song!

Anonymous said...

brb, dying from the cute. i truly wish i had the relationship you have with your mom.

Ms Rodgers said...

Lovely to hear from you Mrs. Hoover! :) Give your daughter a hug from all of us!

thisisasecret said...

This was awesome, thank you so much mamaghoover!

Suburban Sweetheart said...

Oh, Mrs. Hoover. You're the best. Great first blog. :)

-Katy B.

Tamar N said...

That was so cute! I officially think your mom is one of the most awesome people ever. Now I understand what you always rant about :)

I'm still excited for your comeback to YOUR OWN BLOG, though. We miss you!

cassiumpotassium said...

I love this. :)

cassie.

Anonymous said...

It was really nice to hear About Hayley's background. I enjoyed reading your post and would definatly be in favor of a reoccurance from you!

Anonymous said...

Aw, I wish my mom were more like you! Lovely job, Momma Hoover. =)

Anonymous said...

This was AWESOME!!! I wish you had your own blog! Let us know if you by chance actually do it =)

Anonymous said...

HI HAYLEYS MOM :D

nicole. said...

this was a very lovely blog, i'm so glad we got to hear from mamaghoover!

Amy said...

That was. . . so adorable.
gansta, lol. Your mum reminds me of mine ^_^

kmyhatisgone said...

Yay! That was adorable. *feels warm and fuzzy*

Kiera Jo said...

This is so, so sweet. It's nice to meet you, Mrs. Hoover! :D Your blog wasn't mundane at all. It just reminded me how awesome moms are. <3

Anonymous said...

awwwwww

gaby said...

I don't usually comment but I feel like a blog by Mamaghoover DESERVES a comment.

Aw, you're sweet, and sorry to say this, but 'The Fine Kone' is one of my favorite videos of her XD

Today I saw: A bunch of mexican decorations, we're about to celebrate the bicentennial of our Independence
Heard: My puppy barking outside.
Smelled: Cupcakes that my mom and dad brought from my grandma's house.
Tasted: A delicious dinner made by my best friend / favorite cousin :)
Touched: a couple of halloween wigs that we found in her old room.

Nice to "meet" you and hopefully we will hear (or read) from you again!

Hayley, I hope you're feeling better!

Sidsel said...

You should have your dad write also, Hayley. It's like how it's always interesting meeting friends' parents. Some things just make more sense from another perspective. Hearing from your mom gives a different view into your life. It's interesting.

J said...

Hayley, I'm sure you don't need me to tell you this for you to realize it, but you have an awesome mom and I love seeing that she's so supportive of you. :)

Kai said...

mamahghoover, love it :D!

Holly Polly said...

Mama G H-O-O-V-E-R
You ready for me to take over your screen?
All the readers pass by and they don't ask why this blog is fly they just respect what they seein'.

Equatorgrim said...

Awesome Blog MamaGHoover!! You're such a sweet mother.

Jen said...

What a lovely post! Thank you :)

Anonymous said...

This was great.

Hayley, I wanted to let you know that I put you on my list of bloggers for BlogDay 2010.

Kay said...

To Hayley G Hoover,

I was just wondering, what are your feelings on Rosie O'Donnell?

Lizzy said...

That was adorable. Thank you, that made my day. :)

Bel said...

This was SO ADORABLE!

Rebecca said...

ADORABLE. Awesome to meet you finally!

Anonymous said...

*smile* That was really sweet.

Alex Dahlberry said...

Nuuuuu, I need to know what the G stands for!
I guess it must just be gangsta. I mean HGH's own mother just told me so. :)

TonksftMemories said...

That was a very pleasant read. *feels warm and fuzzy inside*

Yay Mama Hoover!

Norman said...

I think we have finally found the source of Miss HayleyGHoover's talent. That was awesome MamaHoover! Since Hayley refuses to divulge her middle name, I'll make up one myself. So goodbye for now miss Hayley "Gretchen" Hoover.

Lauraaa said...

Your mom must be really sweet and so cool!
Hayley and mama Hoover, you're both so real, warm, original, refreshing and sweet and nice and cool and I'll stop cause this is probably making you feel uncomforable ;)

RizalZAls said...

Nuuuuu, I need to know what the G stands for! I guess it must just be gangsta. I mean HGH's own mother just told me so. :)